Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Art of Healthy(ish) cooking

I recently watched "Julie and Julia" for the first time. I think the idea of committing to cook my way through an entire cookbook and blog about it sounds fabulous. I just have three things holding me back from making that commitment. Their names are Carter, Maddi, and Kenzi! Like Julie in the movie, I am also approaching my 30th birthday (I still have 10 months and 2 days!). This movie prompted me to think of something meaningful I can commit to that will help me bring in a new decade in style.

I have done 3 half marathons now and would love to commit to a full before my 30th birthday. 26.2 miles sounds like a great way to prove to myself that 30 is not so old! Thats the first goal I have to accomplish in the next 10 months.

I really like the idea of trying new recipes in the kitchen, however, I do not want to gain 10 pounds before the big birthday comes. I work too hard training for marathons to eat a pound of butter a day (like Julie in the movie seemed to)! So, my goal is to experiment with more healthy cooking. I have thought about going vegetarian, cutting out all sweets, lowering my carbs, blah, blah, blah. But, when it comes down to it, I do not have the will power to make changes that are too drastic. Nor do I have the time or money to travel to specialty grocery stores to buy a bunch of crazy ingredients. Trader Joes is my idea of specialty. So, I am setting a reasonable goal: try one new healthy recipe each week for the rest of the year. I will try to post the recipes and results...that may be slightly harder to accomplish than actually cooking them! I will call it, The Art of Healthy(ish) Cooking! Goal # 2 set!

Goal # 3 is to stick with the goals I have set. This is something I am still learning how to do. I am very ADD. I love to try new things and start new projects, but I loose interest easily unless I am being held accountable by someone. I am NOT good at being my own boss. Maybe I will be enlightened in my 30's??

No comments: