Thursday, April 26, 2007

Why am I thankful today?

I am thankful that I woke up this morning and snuggled in bed with my two beautiful kids. There is a mother who woke up without her child this morning. In the town I grew up in (just a few miles from where I live now) a six month old baby lost his battle with leukemia yesterday morning. I can not imagine this mothers realization when she woke up this morning. She will never see her baby again. I thought about her as I lay with my children, smothering them with kisses. How can one comprehend the loss of their child?

This story touches me deeply. Not only do I have an 8 month old baby, I lost a sister to cancer when she was only six months old. Why does this happen to pure, innocent babies? How can their time be up when their life has barely begun? We, as humans, will never have answers to these questions. And, somehow, we as humans are able to go on. As a mother, I cant imagine how. I know I will pray for this mother as she tries to cope with the loss of her sweet baby.

Hearing stories like this puts life into perspective for all of us. What really matters in your life? We have heard it said time and again. The dishes will wait, we can live in a messy house, but time with our children goes by so fast. How can we all live by this philosophy when everything in our lives seems so pressing? Every time I feel stressed about getting things done around the house, I wish someone would whisper in my ear, "Stop, go love your babies!" Next time you feel stressed about the small stuff, I hope this blog whispers in your ear!

No comments: